July 30, 2021

How to Get an Expedited Passport

Getting a passport is like receiving a ticket to see the world. There’s so much opportunity that comes with having a passport. However, passports are one of those things that can cause travel to be stressful. They can take, what seems like forever, to arrive at your doorstep. Because the processing and arrival times can vary, urgent or last-minute travel plans seem impossible. However, there are options to get your passport expedited, so you don’t have to rearrange your travel plans. 

Expedited Services

There are two ways you can request expedited passports (this is for new passports):

1. Request expedited service by mail for a new passport.

2. Request expedited service in person at a passport acceptance facility near you. 

There are extra fees to expedite your passport. The rush service costs an additional $60, plus any extra delivery costs. Depending on when you’re requesting a passport, normal and expedited processing times can fluctuate throughout the year. Check the current processing times before you submit your application, just in case you’re able to get it on time and can avoid extra fees. 

Processing Times

Expedited services can take up to 12 weeks from the day an application is submitted to the day a new passport is received. The 12-week timeframe includes up to 6 weeks for processing and up to 6 weeks for mailing times on the front and back end. Unfortunately, mail delays are impacting when they receive passport applications for processing. So, keep in mind, the processing times begin the day they receive your application, not the day you mail it. That being said, if you’re planning to travel soon, apply as soon as you can. 


Fees for getting a new passport vary depending on multiple factors. The passport application fee and the execution fee are non-refundable. You can use the passport fees chart to look up the fees you may have to pay when applying for a passport. 

Passports for Minors

Children must apply for passports in person at a passport acceptance facility. Children under 16 need parental consent, so you have to be present with your children and co-sign the application. 16 and 17-year-olds applying for a passport can do it by themselves if they have their own identification documents. 

You will need to do one of the following: Provide a signed, notarized statement saying you know that your child is seeking a passport or attend the appointment with them. If you’re living overseas, contact a U.S. Embassy for information on how to apply for your child’s passport.

All this to say, if you’re planning to take a trip outside of the country in the near future, I would apply as soon as possible. Hopefully, processing times start to speed up as time goes on. I hope this guide was helpful for you if you’re in the process of applying for a new passport. Stay tuned for more adventures on Big Guy Big World

0 0 votes
Article Rating

Share This Post

Big Guy Big World is a travel blog, following Mark Jacoby’s journey as a big guy on a bigger journey, exploring the world during a global pandemic. Follow along as we experience some of the world’s most beautiful and exotic places.

Notify of
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments